Want to register for an inexpensive race that has no weather impediments, allows you to choose your own distance, choose the day you run, has the raddest finishers' prize around and 100% of the profits go towards the Action for Healthy Kids, which funds nutrition and physical education programs in schools across the United States? Here is the opportunity you have been waiting for!!!
Sign up now for the Smush Your Tush Virtual Race right this instant! Do not delay, as this race is limited to only 200 runners!
Why am I hosting this virtual race for charity? A huge goal I set this year was to run more races for charitable organizations. Since I am a pediatric RN, I am quite passionate about nutrition and fitness education in schools as preventative healthcare for children. The Action for Healthy Kids (click the link above for more information) is the perfect organization for me to assist with, and thus I vowed to run the LA Marathon on March 9th for this cause.
- Did you know that more than 30% of American children are obese or overweight? This is triple the number in 1980.
- Did you know that only 8% of elementary school students and 6% of middle school and high school students have daily PE at school? With budget cuts, these programs are among the first to get slashed.
- Did you know that 35% of school-age children watch an average of 5 or more hours of TV on a school day?
- Did you know that overweight kids miss school four times as much as normal weight kids? If kids aren't in school, they cannot learn.
- Other consequences of childhood obesity include increased risk of cardiovascular disease (the number ONE killer in the US), and an increased risk of asthma, sleep apnea and Type 2 diabetes.
- These health risks contribute to the rising national obesity related health care costs! If we fail to help children learn to eat right and be active every day, then this generation will be the first to live shorter lives than their parents. SCARY!! (Cited from www.actionforhealthykids.org)
A virtual race is the perfect platform for me to raise funds. I am not one to go around asking for donations. I'd rather do something fun that everyone can get involved in, feel good about helping out an excellent cause, and obtain a cool award in return. In lieu of traditional finishers' medals, I am providing these AMAZING super-hero lightening-bolt running knee-socks. Yes, they say they are womens' sized, but look here, my size 11.5 hubby can wear them with ease. Adorable right, hairy legs and all?!? Please note, these are NOT compression-style socks, just high-quality running knee-socks.
How to register and participate, registration accepted through March 9th, 2014:
Step 1: Please pay $22 to my paypal account, email@example.com
If you select family/friend then I do not have to pay a fine with paypal.
Step 2: Please fill out this private google doc, providing your address and race distance (don't worry, only I can see it): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17GZlDdN1bp6SL98djn5OLxTFOdZDUHwJIVYayeDPI_o/viewform
Step 3: Run your pledged distance by March 9th and post pics and let me know how you did at www.facebook.com/smushtushfitness
Step 4: Expect your incredible lightening bolt socks the following week and bask in all the glory of how awesome you are for supporting kids across the country on their quest to learn about fitness!
Thank you everyone for your support!! Please e-mail or facebook me (facebook page posted above) with any questions at all.